Dear Ward 5 neighbors,
As the holidays approach, I want to make sure you know about my office’s upcoming Holiday Turkey Giveaway on November 20. I know that these are tough times for many families across the District. We all deserve to have a hearty meal as we celebrate the holidays with loved ones. I invite Ward 5 neighbors to use this form to reserve your turkey (one per household) for pick-up on November 20.
I also want to encourage neighbors to save the date for our annual Ward 5 Holiday Party! Make plans to join us on December 14 from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. at City-State Brewing Co. (705 Edgewood St NE) for a night of food, music, dancing, and celebration together as a community. More information coming soon!
As we head into this Veterans Day weekend, please remember that government services are modified tomorrow, Friday, November 10 and into Saturday. You can read a full list of affected services here, but here’s a quick run-down:
- DPW will not collect household trash and recycling on Friday, November 10. Collections will “slide” one day for the rest of the week into Saturday. Leaf collection will operate on schedule. For households participating in DPW’s curbside composting pilot program, the collection schedule will slide from Friday, November 10 into Saturday, November 11.
- The Fort Totten Transfer Station will be closed on Friday, November 10, and re-open to the public on Saturday, November 11.
- DDOT will suspend construction and work zones for non-emergency work in roadways, alleys, and sidewalks within the District’s right of way on Friday, November 10, and resume during permitted work hours on Saturday, November 11.
- All parking enforcement will be suspended on Friday, November 10, except for Streetcar ticketing and towing and for the Nationals Park neighborhood during restricted game hours.
- Select DC Public Library neighborhood locations (including the Woodridge location in Ward 5) will be open from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Library will be open from 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. on Friday, November 10. All library locations will be closed on Saturday, November 11. Remember, the library is always open online at dclibrary.org.
- DC Public Schools will be closed on Friday, November 10.
- Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) recreation centers, community centers, and indoor aquatic centers will be closed on Friday, November 10. All previously permitted events will take place as scheduled. DPR facilities will operate on normal Saturday hours on Saturday, November 11.
This edition of the Ward 5 Weekly newsletter also includes information about the busy week I’ve had including Monday’s press conference, details on DC Health Link Open Enrollment, important dates for the MySchool DC lottery and EdFEST, open registration for DPR Winter Programs, and events in Ward 5 and across the city including Safeway’s Feast of Sharing at the Convention Center on November 22. Keep reading for more!